Monday, January 5, 2009

The Worst (And Just Not That Good) Films of 2008

I saw some goods films in 2008 but I watched some crap too. Here are the bad and disappointing films of 2008:

Strange Wilderness- Not as funny as the people who were in it. Could've been funnier but had bad writing and a bad storyline. This film was the opposite of what Pineapple Express, Role Models and Zack & Miri were.

Fool's Gold- Probably the worst film of 2008. I know, I should have expected it to be bad but it seemed to have promise. It looked like it could've been the new Romancing the Stone but it failed to make a point until the movie was almost over. Way too many forgettable/unnecessary characters, no direct storyline, too many subplots... it was a big mess.

Jumper- More like dumper. They took a good idea and messed it up with bad actors. It wasn't horrible but just plain bad.

Be Kind Rewind- I like Jack Black. I like Mos Def. I like Michel Gondry. But I didn't really like them together. It was kinda boring. I liked the recreations of the movies that they did but I think the main plot was kinda pointless.

Vantage Point- Again lots of good actors but no good writing. It was a mediocre attempt at making a movie from different points of view of the characters but the story was kinda dumb. Pretty boring.

Semi-Pro- I think I'm done with Will Ferrell. The formula of putting Ferrell in a sport is getting old. I haven't seen Step-Brothers yet but I hope it's a lot better than this.

Doomsday- A big disappointment from the writer/director of The Decent. I was so bored, I turned it off half-way through. I hope The Decent 2 isn't this bad.

Funny Games- I actually sat through this whole thing and I wish I hadn't. It just seemed pointless (like most horror films are nowadays). I hope The Strangers is better than this, it's the same idea but with killers in masks. Sounds better than kids with nothing better to do.

Drillbit Taylor- I didn't like it. Being from some of the Apatow crew and John Hughes, it was a bad representation. I hope Owen Wilson makes better descisions from now on (oops, Marley and Me).

Superhero Movie- They should've made Scary Movie 5 instead.

Leatherheads- Another movie with good actors and bad writing. It was boring and seemed to go nowhere. I like the sets and the costumes but hated the story.

Baby Mama- Not bad but just not really good. A bit of a disappointment but had it's moments. I just felt it didn't belong on the good list.

Son of Rambow- Why was there so much buzz around this film? I thought it was ok but Millions, by Danny Boyle, was a way better film about kids with big imaginations in the U.K. I didn't understand the point of the french kid at all.

Speed Racer- I'm putting this on both lists because it was kind of a bad film. But I still had fun watching it.

What Happens in Vegas- Horrible, horrible, horrible!!!

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull- I love Indy but this was just a big disappointment. I hated Shia LeBeouf's character. I hated Cate Blanchett's bad guy. I hated the sci-fi storyline. But I did like seeing Harrison Ford back in action (even if he was a bit watered down).

Sex and the City- Didn't see it, won't ever see it. I hate the fact that this movie was even made.

The Foot Fist Way- I like Danny McBride and I'm happy he's getting his due, but I just didn't like his movie.

Wanted- I couldn't get past the narration and the film style.

Star Wars: Clone Wars- Why did they make this a movie? It felt like all they did was fuse a few of the TV show episodes together. The storyline was dumb and all it was was clones and lightsabers. Lucas needs to bring SW back from the JarJar-ness that it has become.

Death Race- Like I said before, I love Jason Statham, but this was a total throw away film. It was pure cheese. If you wanna sit through a brainless movie, this was the ultimate for 2008.

The Day the Earth Stood Still- The worst remake of an old sci-fi film since The Invasion. It was really preachy and Kathy Bates, Jaden Smith and Jennifer Connelly need to remember when making a movie like this, don't aim for the Oscar.

So far those were the worst of the films I've seen from 2008. But there's always the DVD releases so maybe I'll sit through some more crap soon. Check out the "Best of" list below.

1 comment:

Anna said...

I loved the sex and the city movie!! :-P